hush

My train passed over the bridge slowly. And I saw the water sparkling below. I saw the sun in every wave of the green waters. And on looking closely, I saw what looked like thousands of little silver blades. Is this my eyes wanting to see fishes or are they really fishes. Guess I will never know, I thought. It was a long bridge. And the train was crawling on the iron tracks.
And I wanted to know the answer. Wanted more than anything more to know what they were.
I was bewildered at my own thoughts. And the train stopped moving. All the commuters looked restless. The sun was burning a hole on the tin roof. And from the sea of people around me, I found myself getting up and moving towards the door. I saw the incredulous look on their faces.
They were wondering what they could not fathom. I saw them yell at me, their voice not reaching my ears, when I looked back. I stepped down on the burning rails.
I walked the path the train had left behind. I walked looking for a shore, walked with only one thing on my mind. What were those things? I heard the train’s engine starting. I looked back and saw the train coming to life. I saw troubled faces, people asking me to come back to safety. What will she do all alone in the middle of nowhere, they must have thought.
And from them I saw a man step down. I saw him run towards me. I kept walking. Peering through the sun and seeing faint steps leading to the waters below, on the left.
All in a hazy light, I felt his hand on my arm. Come with me, the train is not too far. Before I could speak, we heard a creak. And then a bloodcurdling screech of metal against metal. We turned back horrified. And saw the train, derailed, slanting against the bridge, at an unimaginable angle. Like a giant caterpillar having a mighty web-less fall. We saw people falling out too, flying in midair. Like pollens of dust against the bright sky. In morbid fascination, we looked at the train twisting and falling into the river below. And sinking smoothly to the river bed.

Below the little silver blades.

4 comments:

Nikolai Sean said...

explain. wat made u write this?

raining words said...

i wish i had an answer to that nattu.

Anonymous said...

its so well written.. just like stories we used to read in school.. so simply written, short with a thrilling end

Anonymous said...

You should elaborate some more and send it to 'Me' magazine.

Post a Comment

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Social Icons

Popular Posts

Followers

Featured Posts